musicandaudioguide

Thread: Oppo BDP-105 makes a great music server

Oppo BDP-105 makes a great music server

I recently reconfigured my entire listening/media room at my home. I cancelled DirecTV, installed TW high speed internet and use my Oppo 105 as the center of my entertainment system. It works great for listening to any type of optical discs and lets me access anything from Netflix and other online sources.

The ESS Sabre DACs are audiophile quality and it supports my favorite format high-resolution PCM in full surround. The music player is not a full fledged piece of software but it gets the job done for me.

I've been considering both the Oppo BDP-103 and BDP-105. As there is quite a price difference between the two units (up here in Canada), would the BDP-103 be sufficient for HRA? Or does the BDP-105 have more bells and whistles to make a significant difference in listening experience?

I've had the BDP-105 for about a week or so now and am extremely pleased with its sound quality. I can't speak to whether it differs from the 103 but I can discern a definite improvement over my BDP-83. I opted for the 105 over the 103 because of the DACs used in the 105. I'm using mine as a preamp with my main amp connected directly via the dedicated stereo XLR inputs. I fully intend to connect my surround amps and speakers to it but for now I'm simply enjoying the way it sounds with all of my stereo recordings. As a server, it seems to work and sound fine connected via wired ethernet to my Asus RT-A66U router. Two small complaints so far are that it won't display bit depth and sample rate on anything I play via the network. Second, DSD does not appear to be supported via the network. DSD64, however, is supported via the USB port but not DSD128 or higher.

Bill...you're absolutely right. It all about whether you need the ESS Sabre DACs on the player or not. In Chicago at the upcoming AXPONA show, I will be sending HDMI into a Bryston SP-3 processor then into the amp. It has the best multichannel DACs on the planet and sounds wonderful.